[Greenbuilding] Retrofit catalytic converters for woodstoves?

nick pine nick at early.com
Thu Dec 12 13:17:21 CST 2013

My upstairs Englander woodstove only has an 8'x6" chimney pipe, but it
normally draws well when air leaks into the house downstairs and out through
the stove.

But it finally stopped working after the chimney became completely clogged
with creosote after several years of slow burns in the well-insulated
upstairs area.

I have a Magic Heat exchanger with its fan in the middle of the 6' vertical
pipe above the stove.

As of 1984, at least 7 companies made 6" retrofit heaters:

1. Applied Ceramics Versagrid
 P.O. Box 29664
 Atlanta, GA 30359
 4041448-6888 (to locate nearest dealer)

External catalytic dampers and cata lytic converter retrofits that fit 6",
7", I and 8" flues. Top or rear exhaust. Catalytic converter kit retails for
`$139.95. Five-year limited warranty.

2. Cat Engineering
 Rt. 6, Box 131
 Elizabethton, TN 37643
 6151282-2929
 ( to locate nearest dealer)

More than six different models for external and internal retrofit to flue
pipes, freestanding stoves with and without internal baffles, top or rear
exhaust, and fireplace inserts. Retail from $94.95 to $119.95. Limited
warranty on catalyst.

3. Catalytic Damper Corporation Intensifire
 P.O. Box 188
 Flint Hill, VA 22627
 8001643-5827 or 7031675-3011

Two external retrofit models: Intensifire 2000 has large combustor and fits
6", 7", and 8" flue pipes. Comes with probe thermometer and fiveyear
warranty for $199.95. Intensifire 1000 fits 8" flue pipes (adapters
available for others) and has shorter catalyst. Two-year warranty. Retails
for $99.95. Adapters for rear exhaust available for either model.

4. Metal-Fab Smoke Consumer
 P.O. Box 1138
 Wichita, KS 67201
 3161943-2351
 ( to locate nearest dealer)

Two external models (P9C and P10C) can be top or rear mounted and fit 8"
flues. Adapters allow use on 5", 6", or 7" flues also. Stainless steel wire
mesh catalytic converter. Limited one-year warranty.

5. Nu-Tec Incorporated .
 P.O. Box 908
 East Greenwich, RI 02818
 4011822-1782

Internal and external retrofits for freestanding stoves and fireplace
inserts. Limited five-year warranty. Top or rear exhaust for 6", 7", or 8"
flues. Retail prices from $129.95 to $159.95.

6. Riteway Uni-Com
 C&W Dr.
 Bridgewater, VA 22812
 70314333030

An external retrofit that fits 8" pipes but which can be adapted to other
sizes. For top or rear exhaust. Limited oneyear warranty. Retail price
$199.50.

7.. Sotz Retrofit Catalysts
 13628S Station Rd.
 Columbia Station, OH 44028
 80013219892 or 2161236-5021

External retrofits for 6" and 8" flues and for Sotz two-drum stoves. Oneyear
limited warranty. Retail (with shipping) $110.97 to $116.97.

I wonder if any of them are still in business...

Read more:
http://www.motherearthnews.com/diy/retrofit-catalytic-converters.aspx#ixzz2nI0BJovf

Metal rocket-mass heaters also seem interesting, without the mass:

http://www.richsoil.com/rocket-stove-mass-heater.jsp

Nick