[Greenbuilding] Abandoned mine turned into a pumped storagesystem...

Eli Talking elitalking at rockbridge.net
Thu Feb 28 08:52:21 CST 2013

Interesting to see broken cfl bulbs evolve into pump storage electric
storage.

I had a client who was the plant manager for a pump storage facility in Bath
County, Virginia.  I got a tour of the plant.  It is a legitimate concept.
However, they were not claiming green kudos. When I first heard of this, I
was skeptical because it required more energy to pump than was generated
from flow.  However, my client explained that the conventional power
generators (coal, gas, nuclear,non pump storage hydro electric, et.) worked
most efficiently when at full throttle.  So Dominion Power buys the low
price electricity during times of excess production to pump water to top of
mountain reservoir to re-generate electricity during the peak load times and
higher price electricity.  They had 7 pump-generators.  They would start
them up one at a time incrementally as demand increased.  The low cost of
starting and stopping made this a good approach as compared to conventional
production.  Yeah, they had computers and high tech stuff.  However, the
switch was an old fashion pull lever.  It was interesting that they used the
same windings for both motor and generator.

This approach is appropriate for a centralized power grid.  It accepts the
line losses from consuming power produced far away.  The power regenerated
also suffers power line losses to deliver to far away consumers. It could be
a could balance with large nearby megawatt wind generators with their
sporadic production.

Eli