[Greenbuilding] Foam installed between framing during framing

Frank Tettemer frank at livingsol.com
Thu Jan 3 10:57:40 CST 2013

While Building "Science" uses exacting figures, and also really know
their stuff,
my take on Building "Construction" says Ixnay with the precut EPS
squeezed between truss top cords.

My reasoning for this statement is around the huge amount of
opportunities for leaks, due to:
possible inaccuracy in cutting the EPS.
fitting the EPS around the metal truss plates holding all the cords
together.
the inevitable wood movement, (designed in by Mother Nature), of the
truss members,
as well as the fact that most top chord members of commercially
constructed trusses are 2"x3" or 2"x4" in width, which is not very much
thickness for the EPS insulation, as far as R-value is concerned.
It is my take on it that trying to make a conditioned and useful space
out of an attic has more problems associated than there are solutions.
However, I could be wrong about this.

Frank Tettemer

Eli Talking:
I am wondering if it would be reasonable to install accurately precut
eps foam between joist, rafters, or top chord of truss during the
framing to achieve a cheap relatively tight installation when compared
to fiberglass with the air seal being achieve outside the framing with
continuous 6” eps foam managed for air tightness. More detailed
description is below.

--
Frank Tettemer
Living Sol ~ Building and Design