[Greenbuilding] Foam installed between framing during framing

Gennaro Brooks-Church - Eco Brooklyn info at ecobrooklyn.com
Thu Jan 3 14:05:44 CST 2013

Eli,
I don't see the detailed description. I presume the joists etc are
wood? If metal than the plan is not viable. If wood it would work
provided you tape the insulation to the wood to create a complete air
seal. You need to use a tape like Tescon since 99% of the tapes won't
stick for long.
http://de.proclima.com/produkte/verbindungsmittel/klebebaender/tescon-vana
Or apply a vapor permeable barrier and tape it off to create an
airtight seal. This can be done before or after the insulation is
applied.
In both tape or vapor options I would seal all gaps between insulation
and wood with spray foam since any air space will conduct heat.
I would also use PolyISO instead since it has a higher R value.
Putting the insulation over or under the wood is a lot less labour and
creates a better seal but I suspect you can't put it over and you want
the space under.
Gennaro Brooks-Church
Director, Eco Brooklyn Inc.
Cell: 1 347 244 3016 USA