[Greenbuilding] wood vinegar as non-toxic wood treatment

Philip Proefrock architect at cornellbox.com
Thu Jan 10 16:14:21 CST 2013

Are you thinking about things like Accoya treated wood?  They use a
process called acetylization, which uses acetic acid in a pressure
treatment application to produce weather-resistant wood; it's not just a
brush-on process.

Here's an article with some additional information (and a few images,
including a wooden road bridge made with this wood):

http://www.jetsongreen.com/2011/05/accoya-durable-nontoxic-exterior-wood.html

>From what I understand of the process, it needs heat and pressure to
work; it's not just the presence of vinegar that provides the
protection.  But this is a pretty water-resistant material once it's
been treated.  It is used for a variety of exposed purposes.

Philip Proefrock, AIA