[Greenbuilding] wood vinegar as non-toxic wood treatment

gennaro brooks-church gennarobc at gmail.com
Sun Jan 13 15:56:36 CST 2013

I like linseed and iron oxide for the red barn look.

Gennaro Brooks-Church
EcoBrooklyn.com
347-244-3016
22 2nd St., Brooklyn.
This email was sent from my phone.

On Jan 13, 2013, at 3:06 PM, Brad Guy <guy_brad at yahoo.com> wrote:

I have samples of Accoya and tried to use it on a deck, however it was
impossible to justify the cost. It really does smell like vinegar.
Aware of the thermally treated methods, which are for new woods. Was hoping
for something we could apply to salvaged wood, whether soaked or sprayed.
We could not duplicate a kiln, and although possible to send this wood to
one of those treaters, I imagine they want a large quantity and probably
charge large sum, not to mention shipping it there and back.
As I understand it boric acid is great except for the solubility, and it is
then the fixing of it that poses the problem..
The old time method of linseed oil and turpentine seems to come up, neither
are exactly benign.

Reclaim + Remake Symposium, April 11-13, 2013
http://architecture.cua.edu/reclaimremake
Registration Opens December 14, 2012

Brad Guy, Assoc. AIA, LEED AP BD+C
Associate Director