[Greenbuilding] fertilizer from human waste

John Salmen terrain at shaw.ca
Tue Jan 15 20:30:42 CST 2013

I am mixed on this. I have friends that use composting toilets that have
been composting humanmanure for decades and using it on vegetable gardens.
On a larger scale I find it positive that a country like china does not have
a large sewer infrastructure and is relatively free of consuming
petrochemical fertilizers. On the pessimistic side though I can only imagine
the total dregs of waste being dumped into soils.

So what do we do - we have a population that is pumping so many drugs and
chemicals into their systems and also flushing every possible dilutable
product down the system. Do we want to spread that everywhere.

Actually we already are already spreading it everywhere. So the question is
can we contain it, refine it, recover all the cool chemicals and metals and
then spread what is left everywhere? Can we be trusted to do that or will we
cut corners...?

We could have 'regulations' but then that means actually following
regulations and when have we ever done that?