[Greenbuilding] Green Roof under deck

Tim Brown tim34 at optonline.net
Fri Jan 25 10:13:14 CST 2013

There  are  a  bunch  of   companies     that   sell modular  planting  units/containers   that   can  be     used
to    make  a  green    roofs and  they  break 'em  into  two  categories .  Basically  light  and  heavy  6"/12".
I  believe  a  rubber liner  goes    down  first. Lot  of  roof  prep.
When  i  look  at  these  I  always  think  all  the  budget  is  going  to  go  to    the  product which  leaves  contractor
short  for  the  labor. Part  of  the   product  is  also a  super  light  weight  planting  medium     that  is  also  pricey.
My   thought  is   to  use  foam board  over  existing roof, then pond  liner  over  foam.   Make   up  galvanized  sheet metal  pans   to  contain  soil  and  place  over
rubber  liner.  Put  some  newspaper  in  between.  If    you  made 32" x32" x6" h  pans  with 8  1"  drainage  holes  you'd  have manageable  module.
Use landscape fabric  in  bottom    of  each  pan.  Removeable, removable  removable!!!!
For  a    soil  mix  you   might  try a  combination  of 50 %  perlite  and 50 %  metro mix  510 w/  coir.
Since brownstone  roofs  have  a  pretty  decent  slope you    could  design  a  cistern/ collector  at  low  point  with  pump  and
recirculate water.  Almost  hydroponic type    deal.  It's  amazing   how  well  plants   will
  do  as  long  as     they  get   very  regular  consistent   supply  of   h2o.  Regular  fertilizing  a  must.
I  do   love  the  green  roof  idea  but   the   just  sedum for  planting  seems  lame.
Personally I'd  love  to  see vegetables.

I  worked  a  brownstone  job   in  gramercy park   that had glass   deck  that   let  light into  room  below.
Probably  an  1"  thick  and   ground/  frosted.  Wasn't  slippery  but  was  surely
a product  of big    glass  company.  We  built  modular wood  deck around the  skylight.

Check  out  some  garden  pics  if  you  like.

http://pinterest.com/tim34/metropolitan-garden-llc/

http://pinterest.com/tim34/my-garden/