[Greenbuilding] Fresnel lenses box solar cooker

RT archilogic at yahoo.ca
Sun Jun 2 18:08:54 CDT 2013

On Sun, 02 Jun 2013 15:13:27 -0400, sanjay jain <sanjayjainuk at yahoo.co.uk>
wrote:

> Do the fresnel lenses in this box really help?

I haven't looked at the link to the cooker so I can't comment on the
efficacy of that particular design but...

About a year and a half or two ago I asked one of my neighbours, a
theoretical physicist at the National Research Council here in Ottawa, if
he'd be interested in giving a presentation to our community association
on the various photovoltaic cell technologies so that homeowners might
make better decisions should they decide to take advantage of our
province's MicroFIT program.

Ultimately we decided that his area of expertise probably fell into the
realm of "way too much information" so he didn't give a presentation but
he did mention "concentrating photovoltaic (CPV)" systems that were
becoming viable which utilise Fresnel lenses to concentrate sunlight so
that solar arrays could be reduced to the size of [his] thumbnail.

So I suppose, if the solar cooker Sanjay mentions were configured
properly, the Fresnel lenses could in fact "really help". It's not rocket
science. Just optics.

--
=== * ===
Rob Tom					AOD257

< A r c h i L o g i c  at  Y a h o o  dot  c a  >
(manually winnow the chaff from my edress if you hit "reply")