[Greenbuilding] Water Barrier

Eli Talking elitalking at rockbridge.net
Mon Mar 4 15:34:15 CST 2013

I was not seeing the extent of liguid threat to building with siding
blocking the wind driven liquid rain.  However, I have observed that when
eps is exposed to prolong soaking such as in an exterior foundation
insulation where poorly drained, it will hold water like a sponge.

Thanks for input.  Adding the building wrap is a pretty low cost way to
decrease my risk.

Does any body see risk for multiple air (non vapor) barriers?  I understand
the risk of trapping liquid between multiple vapor barriers.  However, my
thinking is that just an air barriers will allow drying to the warm side
even if one has leaks in the barrier.  Because so much of the performance
for tightness hinges on the execution of the air barrier, I tend to want
several layers of air barrier, such as sealing osb seams, sealing foam
seams, taping foam seams, et.  Chances are all of those may have some
execution flaws.  However, to leak all the way through they would need to
line up with flaws on other layers.

Eli