[Greenbuilding] Difference between an Air Barrier Strategy vs. AB materials (was Re: Water Barrier)

Corwyn corwyn at midcoast.com
Tue Mar 5 11:51:50 CST 2013

On 3/5/2013 12:07 PM, Eli Talking wrote:
> However, with no affective vapor barrier, the vapor should
> be able to dry to the warm side of the assembly, easily passing through the
> air barriers.

This is often bandied about.  I would like to know if anyone has done
the chemistry and math on it.  Let's say you have a 68°F building, at
50% relative humidity, and an outside at 20°F and 50% RH.  Assume for
simplicity's sake that there is a uniform temperature gradient through
the wall assembly, which is also evenly permeable.  Additionally, we
will assume that the moisture is transported to the assembly by the air
(so not through vapor pressure), and condenses there.  In order for the
assembly to 'dry to the inside' are the conditions listed above
sufficient to achieve a positive vapor pressure from the assembly to the
building (for some perm rating)?  If not, what do the conditions have to be?

My gut intuition is that under those conditions the partial pressure of
water vapor is going to be pushing more vapor into the assembly rather
than the other way around.

Thank You Kindly,

Corwyn

--