[Greenbuilding] Difference between an Air Barrier Strategy vs. AB materials (was Re: Water Barrier)

John Straube jfstraube at uwaterloo.ca
Tue Mar 5 12:44:13 CST 2013

All vapor barriers are NOT air barriers. Perhaps you are thinking materials not walls and roofs.
A common vapour barrier in Canada is polyethylene sheet.  A great vapour barrier.  Overlap the joints and staple it to the wall, and it is NOT an air barrier. We regularly investigate real life building problems caused by people who point at a material on a drawing and say "but we did install an air barrier, there it is!".  Of course it leaks because they did not seal it up and so it was not an air barrier.
There is no required perm rating for an air barrier system, it depends.
Water vapour is not part of an air molecule. There are no air molecules.  There are molecules of nitrogen oxygen, argon, etc mixed to make air.

Please can all of us in the conversation please try reading some of the resources at
http://www.buildingscience.com/resources/vapor_barrier_code_changes
before going on.

I will send another primer I wrote 15 years ago in a separate email.

On 2013-03-05, at 12:07 PM, Eli Talking <elitalking at rockbridge.net>