[Greenbuilding] Circa 1766 (terra cotta) roof shingles

RT archilogic at yahoo.ca
Wed Mar 13 00:29:11 CDT 2013

On Wed, 13 Mar 2013 01:17:28 -0400, Reuben Deumling <9watts at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I would add that although clay tiles are very durable, at least in
> Germany they don't typically last 250 years.

I doubt that they would last one winter here in Kanata.

Terra cotta flower pots that get left outside here over winter self
destruct in one season.

Fired clay brick garden walls with brick copings don't last much longer.

Thinking about the flat terra cotta roof tiles a bit more... I suppose if
the roof is steep enough so that any moisture runs off and drains away
before the clay has a chance to get wet and/or dries out before the
moisture has a chance to freeze, then maybe they'd be okay.

--
=== * ===
Rob Tom					AOD257

< A r c h i L o g i c  at  Y a h o o  dot  c a  >
(manually winnow the chaff from my edress if you hit "reply")