[Greenbuilding] chickens

mrgoodbeer at juno.com mrgoodbeer at juno.com
Thu Mar 14 17:07:17 CDT 2013

Any insulation should be protected from pecking. They will eat foam insulation or egg cartons like it was candy, and probably cardboard too. Ammonia smell means you are losing nitrogen from the manure. Spread it on the garden, compost it, or stir in some wood chips, shavings, sawdust, or fresh hay. The water container needs protection from freezing more than the chickens do. That said, my 65 hens in zone 6 (WV) are doing OK in a drafty board and batten house with just a heater for the water. I open 4 big windows as weather permits.
Sing chicken carols while doing the chores. It will cheer them up.

Hi ho, hi ho, you're chickens in the snow,
You have two feet that we don't eat, hi ho, hi ho.

Hi ho, hi ho, you're chickens in the snow,
You lay good eggs or taste like chicken, hi ho, hi ho.

Hi ho, hi ho, you're chickens in the coop
You flap and run and eat and drink
You're full of poop.

I'm a chickie doodle dandy
I'm a chickie doodle guy
Chickie doodle went to town
A-riding in a Chevy
I am a chickie doodle guy.

I'm no composer, but a passable librettist.