[Greenbuilding] chickens

John Salmen terrain at shaw.ca
Thu Mar 14 18:51:46 CDT 2013

Depends on the climate. Basically heat can be given as food and exercise -
creating a semi-enclosed scratching area open to the sun but protected from
winds (haybales can work well as an exercise yard. Spreading loose hay in
the yard and coop and lacing it with grain will help with warmth and promote
a lot of activity - hay or straw could also help with the smell - straw
would be better).  Chickens produce about 10watts of heat per chicken and
can retain heat by fluffing feathers - but they also generate a lot of
moisture so you still need to maintain good ventilation in winter (1/2
sq.ft. per chicken).  Feeding them later in the day and even extending the
day using lights will encourage them to eat more and stay warmer. Warmer
water...

I spend a lot of time outside in the winter (including overnight) and employ
the same basic rules of food, food ,food , exercise, exercise, lots of water
and fluffing my feathers.