[Greenbuilding] Brick Veneer over Thick Foam

Eli Talking elitalking at rockbridge.net
Wed Mar 27 08:29:00 CDT 2013

I have adopted as my approach to insulating buildings to install a thick layer of foam outside the framing for walls.  Sometimes this is in combination with frame cavity insulation, sometimes not.  Outside this foam, I install a furring strip that I carefully seal at screw holes and screw through foam to framing for the purpose of mounting siding.
I have a project that includes brick veneer.  Are there neat,  intrinsic methods for brick ties in the same situation.  The brick tie should not be required to penetrate all the way through the 3”-6” foam.  My intuitive approach is to treat just like siding by installing furring strips that the brick ties can be mounted to.  Because I have not seen this done that way, I am wondering if there is an already proven approach to this situation.
Comments will be appreciated.
Eli