[Greenbuilding] Perceptions of Nature & Reality

Norbert Senf mheat at mha-net.org
Mon May 27 09:24:56 CDT 2013

At 05:49 PM 5/25/2013 -0700, Steve Satow wrote:
>(snip)
>If I nip over to my neighbour and tell him that
>I used 1,613,824.34 Btus last month, he's going
>to look at me blankly and wonder 'what the F is
>he talking about'?. But if I tell him I used
>$46.34 worth of electricity, he'll understand.
>Which is a more effective way of communicating?
>
>I KNOW dollars are not a technically accurate
>measure of energy, but they ARE functional within limits.
>(snip)

Except, your energy measure is not dollars, but
dollars of electricity, which is a big difference.

Dollars of electricity tells me how many BTU's,
because I know what you pay per kWh.

Dollars tells me very little. If I burn dollar
bills, $46 means I have a very efficient house, indeed.

Norbert

Norbert Senf---------- mheat(at)heatkit.com
Masonry Stove Builders
25 Brouse Rd.