[Greenbuilding] Perceptions of Nature & Reality

Norbert Senf mheat at mha-net.org
Tue May 28 15:04:45 CDT 2013

At 11:35 AM 5/28/2013 -0400, Alan Abrams wrote:
>but still we need a vocabulary that bridges or
>penetrates the fear, or laziness, or just plain
>hardheadedness of the majority of our clients
>whose minds--even those that have earned JD's
>and PhD's--switch off like a light when when you
>start talking to them about kWh's and
>Btu's.  particularly those who begin the
>conversation with:  "We want to be as green as possible..."
>
>if anyone figures this out, call me collect...

yes, big problem. For everyone, because the
simple answer is "then stop flying and staying in hotels"
The climate impact of hopping on a plane is
disproportionate to anything else we do, because
there is a 2.3 multiplier on the carbon, from the
water vapor emitted into the upper atmosphere, according to George Monbiot.

So you can basically drive a Hummer and idle it
at the Tim Horton's drive through all you want,
and still cause less global warming than the
guy/gal who hops on a plane to go to conferences,
Cancun, whatever. A single person flying to
Cancun and a single person driving a Hummer there
are roughly equivalent. Put two people in the Hummer, and it is "greener".

This is facilitated by our ignorance of physical
units for energy and what they mean. Not to mention our increasing innumeracy.
A barrel of oil, for example, equals about 10,000
hours of human labor in energy equivalence.
An average car and an average house are roughly
equivalent in annual carbon output.

Norbert

Norbert Senf---------- mheat(at)heatkit.com
Masonry Stove Builders