[Greenbuilding] Perceptions of Nature & Reality

Reuben Deumling 9watts at gmail.com
Tue May 28 15:15:03 CDT 2013

On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 1:04 PM, Norbert Senf <mheat at mha-net.org> wrote:

> yes, big problem. For everyone, because the simple answer is "then stop
> flying and staying in hotels"

As a big fan of George Monbiot's I'm in favor of not flying, doing
everything we can to avoid it.
Another interesting wrinkle about the impact of flying which I learned just
the other day has to do with the time frame we are concerned about:

"According to the paper, if we focus just on the impact over the next five
years, then *planes currently account for more global warming than all the
cars on the world's roads *– a stark reversal of the usual comparison. Per
passenger mile, things are even more marked: flying turns out to be on
average *50 times* worse than driving in terms of a five-year warming
impact. [...] If we shift to a 20-year time frame, things look completely
different."

www.guardian.co.uk/environment/blog/2010/sep/09/carbon-emissions-planes-shipping

A barrel of oil, for example, equals about 10,000 hours of human labor in
> energy equivalence.

Energy slaves.