[Greenbuilding] On The Edge: Sustainable Housing in Canada

nick pine nick at early.com
Sun Nov 10 07:05:30 CST 2013

"Ross Elliott" <relliott at homesol.ca> writes:

> I thought perhaps this group would be interested in the presentation I did
> this week for the National Housing Research Committee?s  Sustainable
> Housing Working Group on Tuesday, ?On The Edge: Sustainable Housing in
> Canada?

http://draftexample.squarespace.com/storage/SHWG%20Nov.%205%202013%20Ross%20Elliott%20POST%20FINAL%20w%20transcript.pdf

Nice presentation.

Re: page 78:

>... It's an 8000 SF weddings events facility with 15' ceilings, or roughly
>like a 15,000 SF house with 8' ceilings. Last winter before the final
>heating system was installed, this entire building was heated just with a
>single 700 watt plug-in heater and was always comfortable.

It seems to me that this building could have been less expensive with less
insulation and airtightness and more passive solar air heaters like Gary
Reysa's
http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects/SpaceHeating/solar_barn_project.htm

Germany has no sun. Why do we have to build like they do?

Nick