[Greenbuilding] Old buildings = better energy performance; why? NYT

Stephen Collette stephen at yourhealthyhouse.ca
Tue Nov 19 15:10:47 CST 2013

Hello Reuben and all,

I would agree with what has been posted. Older buildings have significantly more thermal mass, and can moderate the temperature quite well. Smaller windows make a huge difference, especially when we look at newer condos in the city all covered in glass. Plug loads, yes, would be an issue as well, and finally operation of when we consider it cold enough to turn heat on.

Even the contents would be more thermally massive, and hold heat better. Heavy wool carpets, solid wood book cases and furniture, versus lightweight materials used now. All of that plays a role.

Cheers

Stephen

Stephen Collette BBEC, LEED AP, BSSO
Your Healthy House - Indoor Environmental Testing & Building Consulting
http://www.yourhealthyhouse.ca
stephen at yourhealthyhouse.ca
705.652.5159