[Greenbuilding] Drying House in Humid Season

Stephen Collette stephen at yourhealthyhouse.ca
Thu Nov 21 08:22:39 CST 2013

Hi Bob and all,

In this specific case, the raw cork (like bulletin board material, because it's cheap and can come in larger sheets), went on the walls in the bathroom, outside of the stall itself. The raw wood, was wood pieces, like 1x placed in architecturally pleasing patterns, like arts and crafts style. This was Helmut Ziehe's place, who was the founder of the Institute for  Building Biology in North America, and an architect.

As for seasonal swings, I would say yes to that as well. We all know how big timbers flex and stretch and shrink, log cabin style, so we know that they take in and release moisture over the year. Straw bale does that as well even, since it has lots of cellulose. CMHC did studies on that showing the moisture levels evened out over the year cycle as well.

The idea of making a bathroom out of materials that can safely handle the moisture load using natural materials instead of covering it in "impermeable" materials such as vinyl wall paper and vinyl flooring, and the eventual failure of the "impermeable systems" is analogous to building wall systems with natural materials versus kindling frame and garbage bags in my opinion. Work with nature, not against it, since she will always win.

Cheers

Stephen

Stephen Collette BBEC, LEED AP, BSSO
Your Healthy House - Indoor Environmental Testing & Building Consulting
http://www.yourhealthyhouse.ca
stephen at yourhealthyhouse.ca
705.652.5159