[Greenbuilding] Growing Media Embodied Energy

Topher topher at greenfret.com
Sun Oct 13 09:52:32 CDT 2013

On 10/12/2013 11:09 AM, Gennaro Brooks-Church - Eco Brooklyn wrote:
> The wood will decompose and shrink in depth, requiring the addition of
> more. Each time you do that the weight increases. Is that a valid concern?

No, it's not.  Wood is mostly C5H10O5, when it decomposes it does so
into things like H20, C02, etc.  All of those things subsequently leave
a roof environment.  So decomposition, and shrinking in depth, reduce
the weight in direct proportion to the loss in height.  Compaction does
not however, so I would make your load calculations based on a fully
compacted mass of the given depth.

Thank You Kindly,

Topher Belknap

--