[Greenbuilding] anyone familiar with Ethical Energy

David Bergman bergman at cyberg.com
Mon Oct 14 09:19:08 CDT 2013

Thanks Jason. Their info says that, for NY
customers, it's 100% wind, sourced within 200 miles of "where you live."
Emacs!

At 10:12 PM 10/13/2013, you wrote:

>I’ve heard of them but don’t know a whole lot of
>details. I’m fairly certain they’re a REC
>company­meaning they by wind “renewable energy
>credits” to pay to put wind on a grid.  You have
>to ask them where the wind farms are. If the
>rates are lower than SOS (standard offer
>service), chances are the wind farms are in
>Texas or the Dakotas, so those electrons are
>serving those markets.  It’s a GHG benefit (and
>regional air quality), but won’t improve the NY
>grid electric mix (won’t offset the need for
>coal, oil, gas, nuclear on NY’s grid).  I don’t
>believe NY has joined the PJM grid, so you can
>find out who your grid manager is and what the
>SOS grid supply mix is.  If the offering is for
>“local wind”, then those wind-based electrons
>are supplying the local grid and have a benefit
>for regional envtl quality as well as GHG.
>

>Jason Holstine
>[]
>
>Amicus Green Building Center
>“Sustain Your Space”
>Member - USGBC, GreenAmerica, NARI, NAHB
>e: <jason at amicusgreen.htm>jason at amicusgreen.com
>w: www.amicusgreen.com
>p: 301-571-8590
>tf: 866-587-9140
>f:  301-571-8597
>

>On 10/12/13 3:11 PM, "David Bergman"
><<bergman at cyberg.htm>bergman at cyberg.com> wrote:
>
>Is anyone familiar with the ESCO Ethical
>Electric,
><https://ethicalelectric.com>https://ethicalelectric.com
><https://ethicalelectric.com/> ? I got an email
>blast from them recently. I called them and it
>sounds like their rate per kWh is actually lower
>than my current rate from Con Ed Solutions,
>which is a partially eco ESCO (it includes hydro).
>
>Ethical says they are solely wind sourced.
>Sounds great, but I'd never heard of them until receiving the blast.
>

>David Bergman  RA   LEED AP
>
>architect - David Bergman Architect
>
><<http://cyberg.com/dba/dba.htm>http://cyberg.com/dba/dba.htm>
>designer - Fire & Water Lighting
>
><<http://cyberg.com/fw/fw.htm>http://cyberg.com/fw/fw.htm>
>author - Sustainable Design: A Critical Guide
>
><<http://ecooptimism.com/?page_id=58>http://ecooptimism.com/?page_id=58>
>blog - EcoOptimism
>
><<http://www.ecooptimism.com/>http://www.ecooptimism.com/>
>adjunct faculty - Parsons The New School for Design
>
><bergman at cyberg.htm>bergman at cyberg.com
>www.cyberg.com <<http://www.cyberg.com/>http://www.cyberg.com/>
>212 475 3106   twitter: @EcoOptimism

David Bergman  RA   LEED AP

architect - <http://cyberg.com/dba/dba.htm>David Bergman Architect
designer -  <http://cyberg.com/fw/fw.htm>Fire & Water Lighting
author -
<http://ecooptimism.com/?page_id=58>Sustainable Design: A Critical Guide
blog - <http://www.ecooptimism.com/>EcoOptimism
adjunct faculty - Parsons The New School for Design

bergman at cyberg.com    www.cyberg.com
212 475 3106   twitter: @EcoOptimism