[Greenbuilding] Heating?

Norbert Senf mheat at mha-net.org
Thu Oct 17 08:36:59 CDT 2013

Electric radiant heaters, or radiant panels. Instant heat.

I have one in my office and one in my uninsulated
garage. Instant-on zoned radiant heat is the only
way to go in an uninsulated space that is not
living space. Get real radiant heaters that beam
the heat, which means either a glowing element
with a reflector, or a panel with a significant
surface area. Forget anything with a fan, oil
filled, or that makes efficiency claims - they
all work off electric resistance, at 100%
conversion efficiency because the losses happen
upstream. (Like Amory Lovins famously said,
"heating with electricity is like cutting butter with a chainsaw").

It is a matter of minimizing convection heating,
that will simply go up and out unless you heat
individual small rooms with closed doors and without high ceilings.

Norbert