[Greenbuilding] Heating?

Gennaro Brooks-Church - Eco Brooklyn info at ecobrooklyn.com
Thu Oct 17 08:50:28 CDT 2013

Hi,
Thanks for the comments. The client doesn't want any insulation. He is an
artist and thinks he will be ok with a raw temp studio. I pointed out that
a container in the summer is like a Japanese torture chamber and in the
winter like a Russian gulag.
As a concession we are insulating around the base to keep the cold air out
from under the floors. The interior walls will get 3" inches PolyISO. on
top of the container the roof will get 3" XEPS and an extensive green roof.
The ceiling nothing for now. The weakest point is the corner where the
walls meet the ceiling since there is a direct thermal bridge. If the
insulation was on the inside ceiling meeting the insulated walls I could
break that bridge but the containers are low at 8' when raw space.
Anyway, if his claims of being ok with the temps is true, then we only need
a little boost to cut the extremes. I'm getting one suggestion for radiant
heat. I'm thinking of suggesting a pellet stove....
Your thoughts?

Gennaro Brooks-Church
Director, Eco Brooklyn Inc.
Cell: 1 347 244 3016 USA