[Greenbuilding] insulating around windows... best practice

Alan Abrams alan at abramsdesignbuild.com
Thu Sep 5 06:34:13 CDT 2013

I've heard about but never tried Tremco expanding foam tape.  It comes off
the roll very thin, and sloowwwly expands.  You apply it to the window
perimeter, and you have a few moments to slam the window in place, and
level and square it up, before the Tremco swells to seal the gap.  If you
run into a problem with the opening, or have to stop and take a leak, the
foam expands larger than the opening, and you have to scrape it off (at
what, a buck a foot???) and start over.

AA

On Thu, Sep 5, 2013 at 3:00 AM, Reuben Deumling <9watts at gmail.com> wrote:

> I like backer rod. My method has evolved into stuffing the appropriate
> diameter backer rod from the outside and from the inside around the
> perimeter of the window. Done carefully I convince myself that I'm creating
> some dead air space in between the two foam layers.
> Are there better ways of doing this?
> I am aware of and used to use a foam gun. But I never can seem to make
> sure to clean the gun when I'm done and so the next time I have to buy the
> expensive acetone cleaner and take the damn thing apart again. Which is one
> of the reasons I've switched to backer rod.
>
> Thanks.

Alan Abrams*
**certified professional building designer, AIBD
certified passive house consultant, PHIUS*
*certified passive house builder, PHIUS**
*Abrams Design Build LLC
*sustainable design for intentional living*
cell     202-437-8583
alan at abramsdesignbuild.com
www.abramsdesignbuild.com