[Greenbuilding] insulating around windows... best practice

Reuben Deumling 9watts at gmail.com
Thu Sep 5 02:00:39 CDT 2013

I like backer rod. My method has evolved into stuffing the appropriate
diameter backer rod from the outside and from the inside around the
perimeter of the window. Done carefully I convince myself that I'm creating
some dead air space in between the two foam layers.
Are there better ways of doing this?
I am aware of and used to use a foam gun. But I never can seem to make sure
to clean the gun when I'm done and so the next time I have to buy the
expensive acetone cleaner and take the damn thing apart again. Which is one
of the reasons I've switched to backer rod.

Thanks.