[Greenbuilding] good windows

Alan Abrams alan at abramsdesignbuild.com
Mon Sep 16 10:02:49 CDT 2013

Sacie--I've seen Passive Houses specifying Therma-Tru doors lately.  I'm
not that confident they can compete with the euro's in terms of
air-tightness, so have been sticking with Intus...

WRT U-value, Intus offers glazing in their doors at U-0.11  This may not
compare with N American ratings--but Intus claims that their glazing
insulates more efficiently than their frames.  IOW's, it can pay to install
the largest glass area possible...

AA

On Mon, Sep 16, 2013 at 10:51 AM, Sacie Lambertson <
sacie.lambertson at gmail.com> wrote:

> This article on US-made Passive Haus certified windows has prompted me to
> ask this group what good entry door they might suggest?
>
> We have intended for years to replace the inexpensive original door that
> fit our needs at the time.  Any new door must have a window in it, our only
> criterion (aside from being a tight well-made entry door).
>
> Having an entry door with a window makes me also wonder if insulation in a
> door is counter balanced by the hole created by a window?
>
> Thanks, Sacie
>

> http://buildinggreen.com/auth/article.cfm/2013/7/28/Passivhaus-Windows-Made-in-the-U-S-A/?utm_source=BuildingGreen.com+Mailing+List&utm_campaign=5603ceb838-BGB_2013_09_16_AB9_15_2013&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_d558b0594a-5603ceb838-157088817&mc_cid=5603ceb838&mc_eid=94d551ef67

Alan Abrams*
**certified professional building designer, AIBD
certified passive house consultant, PHIUS*
*certified passive house builder, PHIUS**
*Abrams Design Build LLC
*sustainable design for intentional living*
cell     202-437-8583
alan at abramsdesignbuild.com
www.abramsdesignbuild.com