[Greenbuilding] good windows

Topher topher at greenfret.com
Mon Sep 16 12:55:10 CDT 2013

On 9/16/2013 11:02 AM, Alan Abrams wrote:

WRT U-value, Intus offers glazing in their doors at U-0.11  This may not
compare with N American ratings--but Intus claims that their glazing
insulates more efficiently than their frames.  IOW's, it can pay to
install the largest glass area possible...

I agree.  A good window is going to be net positive (in my climate).
The general trend in window and door design is toward smaller frames,
more glass.  I saw some German doors a few months ago, that felt like
the would make a good vault door (if glass was less fragile :-), solid,
thick, triple weatherstripped.  If the door gets sun, put as much glass
as you want/can.

Thank You Kindly,

Corwyn / Topher Belknap

--