[Greenbuilding] Wood is the #1 domestic renewable energy source in the U.S., by far

Norbert Senf mheat at mha-net.org
Sat Sep 28 13:06:28 CDT 2013

Hi Tim:

Yes, Washington State stoves must meet an
emissions limit of 4.5 g/hr of particulate,
whereas the current federal EPA limit is 7 g/hr.
Both WA and EPA use a similar fueling and test
cycle, and it is unavoidable that the numbers are
dependent on the testing protocols used.
Some of the stoves are testing considerably under
the limit. Actual "in home" numbers are a lot
trickier to get and likely would be all over tha
map, and you would need to take an average from a large sample of users.
Still, outdoor boilers are belching out in the range of 100 g/hr.

For masonry heaters, grams per hour is a
non-sensical measure, since you put out high
grams per hour for 2 hours, and then zero grams
per hour for 22 hours. Grams per kilogram of fuel
burned makes a lot more sense as an emissions
measure, and is equivalent to g/hr when the burn
rate happens to be 1 kg/hr, which is actually the
average burn rate of the average stove in the US.

We can reliably get in the 1 g/kg range with
masonry heater, with some of the latest
technology from Austria doing about half that.
Pellet stoves are in the same range.

Efficiency is not part of the EPA test protocol,
even though all the data that would be needed is
already collected for the emissions test. Most of
the numbers you see are estimates. I'd venture
70% +/- 10%. The theoretical maximum without
going to a condensing system is around 84%.
Additional confusion stems from European numbers,
which are calculated to a different definition,
and in the case of a European condensing boiler
can be higher than 100%. Roughly, add about 9% to
an American efficiency number for wood to convert to a European number.

If you don't transfer any heat from the connector
pipe (as per your question), i.d. take a rough
guess and say you are looking at 2% - 5%,
depending on how high the burn rate is and how long the connector pipe is.

Norbert