[Greenbuilding] Toxic Materials in Roof Runoff

RT ArchiLogic at yahoo.ca
Tue Aug 12 11:13:19 CDT 2014

On Tue, 12 Aug 2014 10:30:17 -0400, John Salmen <terrain at shaw.ca> wrote:

> So my reaction was - well we do know that....
>
> Study did not look at aged materials (samples were all new) which I
> think is crucial for evaluating [PAH]

I pretty much agree with the above. "Dumb study" was my reaction.

Back in the days of my mis-spent yoot, it was always entertaining to
acquire an altered consciousness and then do silly things like go looking
for faces in rocks, for a giggle. And invariably, we found them.  This
study was very reminicent of that pastime.

ie If you go looking for metals in the run-off from metal roofs (ie the
leachate from the oxides in the sacrificial coating or layer) then chances
are pretty good that you're going to find some. And if the product is
painted , well, you know.

I'd be willing to wager a box of  low-fat doughnuts

http://ottawacitizen.com/life/food/people-line-up-for-almonte-inventors-lower-fat-doughnuts

 from the place down the road in Almonte (also home of the inventor of
basketball) that the undercarriage components of Ford vehicles in just one
Pacific NW metropolis leaches more "toxic" materials into the runoff that
makes its way to the ocean than do all of the zinc-aluminum alloy roofs in
the entire PNW.

The galling thing to me was that this study makes asphalt shingle roofs
look almost benign in comparison to metal roofs.  I just happened to run
into a neighbour yesterday as I was heading out for my morning bike ride
who was stressing out about a can of aerosol bug spray that some workmen
had left stuck in the downspout of her eavestrough.  The prospect of the
predicted 30-plus degC for later in the day and heavy rains to come had
her more than a little concerned.

I offered to scoot up onto the roof and retrieve the offending aerosol can
immediately rather than her have to wait for the workmen. While I was
eyeing the roof to see how long of a ladder I'd need she informed me that
she was currently involved in a civil suit over the less-than-10 yrs-old
50-year warranty "architectural" asphalt shingle roof which was failing.
So in a mere 20-some years, there will be two huge dumpsters-full of
asphalt shingles going to the landfill just from that one roof while her
neighbour's metal roof installed at about the same time as her original
roof  will likely last another few decades before even having to think
about a cosmetic touch-up.

Then I found Erin's sucker-bait post later that afternoon.

(And "No" , I've not yet tried the afore-mentioned dognuts (sic).)

--
=== * ===
Rob Tom  .  .  . T60BOM

A r c h i L o g i c  at  Y a h o o  dot C A
(manually winnow the chaff from my edress if you hit "reply")