[Greenbuilding] Ventilation for Unoccupied Tight Buildings

John Salmen terrain at shaw.ca
Sun Aug 24 10:28:41 CDT 2014

Well that is one way of showing a low annual energy consumption for a passiv
haus building (turning off the ventilation). These are large buildings
probably around 400000 ft3 so even a .6 leakage is a lot of moist air
entering.  Dealing with that air humidity would/should mean doubling air
change rates and or drying the air. Windows could be effective for some air
movement but distribution in a large building? It does come down to
materials and the ability to deal with moisture if the intent is to have a
building lie dormant. Would love to see an air quality test for contaminants
for a tight building that is shut down for a few months - I feel sorry for
the returning students.