[Greenbuilding] metal roof question

Reuben Deumling 9watts at gmail.com
Tue Aug 26 19:03:09 CDT 2014

I'm working on a house that has a standing seam metal roof. I'm adding a
shallow roof section above the gable windows on the weather sides to
protect them from the weather and to provide some first order shielding
from the fierce afternoon sun in the summer. I'll be copying the pitch and
roof material of the rest of the house. Then I started wondering whether
for a 20" roof (distance from ridge = housewall to soffit) I couldn't just
as easily use a single strip of metal running horizontally, with a 3/4" lip
at the top to slip under the course of wood siding, and a ~2" lip at the
bottom, like that soffit metal has? The chief reason to do this at least as
I think about it would be to simplify the ridge flashing, which with a
standing seam meeting wooden siding at a 9in12 pitch requires notching
either the roofing or the siding plus caulk. I've done this before and it
works o.k. but it is a bunch of work and not entirely satisfactory.

This additional roof section would look a lot nicer with a hip at each end,
which means I'd need to figure out some way to integrate the ridge cap into
the wall, or, since it is all outside the envelope perhaps I'm overthinking
this?

Thoughts? Suggestions?