[Greenbuilding] embodied energy was Polyiso strength on roof (ErgoDesk)

John Salmen terrain at shaw.ca
Thu Dec 11 23:54:28 CST 2014

Hi Mike

Not sure what the ad hominem stuff is about but it is a difficult topic as we don’t do well in recognizing the embodied content of a material much less its energy content. One of the problems of the built environment is that it is a defensive protective environment – which makes it a hostile environment and toxic in nature. Alex wrote his article in 2009. He gave polyiso as a possible board alternative but we now know that it also has issues. Also mentions rockwool as a board material or ‘rigid’ rockwool but no one ever seems to get it that the added density i.e. rigidity is simply adding formaldehyde resin not ‘rigid rocks’. When we identify problems with a product we should not jump to an alternative product as being free of problems or jump back to ‘simple’ old products as preferred (like asbestos). I have long worked from the assumption that every building product represents a risk in usage or context and it seems my job is increasingly about quantifying that risk – I can’t ever assume that I am eliminating risk.

The primary aquatic concern with polystyrene as Alex pointed out was HBCD’s which actually posed a greater risk in bedding and clothing and other household items as that was the primary vehicle for it entering the water stream. Not used in coffee cups but realistically styrene foams represent a smaller risk than more solid plastics (specifically vinyls) in building and only because they are more air than plastic.  20 ft of vinyl flashing is probably more plastic than would be contained in a house completely insulated with eps foam – and a house insulated entirely in cellulose or rockwool may represent more risk of irritant or chemical contamination than one done in foam – I don’t know - but it goes back to the nature of the materials used (all of the materials used) in the products). For insulation it ultimately goes back to density and stability.  If a material (like eps) is 98% air then 2% of the remaining material represents a risk. If a material is 60% air then 40% of the materials need to be evaluated – if 20% of that is friable or soluble or whatever then that needs to be considered. I don’t know any other way of looking at it.

The concern about plastic toxicity should be initially with the manufacture and the pollution that is a result of that – vinyl production has been the worst internationally because it is a cheap plastic to produce so is ubiquitous. Subsequent concerns should be with appropriate usage as many of the compounds are not stable as we are discovering with packaging and contaminated foods. Then more concern with how it erodes or is disposed of.

Could or should be a long conversation held daily (as it generally is here). In getting back to houses as the hostile environment – we are trying to make buildings immune from the effects of nature which is trying to reduce everything back to nature. Ironically the more durable we want to make things the more toxic they are in some way to our natural world. The strongest piece of lumber will be an old growth tight grain piece of wood or it will be a piece of steel or it will be a lot of chips and plastic glues. The more protective paint we put on a building the more paint is washed off into the ground, etc.

If everything we put in building was designed so it can be reduced back to its basic compounds without risk of exposing or concentrating toxic elements then perhaps we would be improving things a little – but that is not necessarily an argument for simple materials.

.