[Greenbuilding] Masonry Caviaty Insulation Detail

conservation architect elitalking at rockbridge.net
Thu Feb 6 16:31:50 CST 2014

Do any on the list have suggestions for good insulation details for masonry
cavity.  I have a local fire company that are expecting their addition to be
brick veneer on concrete block as is the existing building which;h has
almost no insulation.  The conventional detail of using either wire trusses
at 16" or 24" vertical to allow for dimensioned foam to be installed.  It
strikes me as difficult or not possible to seal rigid insulation at wire
truss or brick tie.  I considered at one point the installation of a 2x
furring strip on outside of rigid insulation to provide support for brick
tie that would not penetrate the foam thermal barrier.  I do not believe
these clients are particularly motivated to achieve high thermal standard.

Suggestion appreciated.

Eli