[Greenbuilding] protecting outdoor wooden structure from future decay (or at least delaying it)

Reuben Deumling 9watts at gmail.com
Mon Feb 17 10:03:59 CST 2014

I'm in the process of building a large outdoor structure (porch, timber
frame bridge, stairs, etc.) out of Douglas fir we milled ourselves. The
decking is cedar which I'm not worried about, but the rest I'm realizing
could probably benefit from some attempt at prolonging its useful life. I
despise pressure treated wood, and am not interested in noxious chemicals.
Are there any other methods?

Thanks very much.