[Greenbuilding] Building w/in a building

Kurt Jensen cascadeshc at gmail.com
Sat Jul 5 17:36:01 CDT 2014

Hi all,
I am working on insulating a pole barn. Currently, the building has 1.5
inch EPS glued to the ribbed metal siding, between the girts and purlins.
The project is in the Pacific Northwest and the owner wants the building
very well insulated. The floor is concrete slab. I'm thinking of framing
2x6 walls inside the existing building and insulating the wood walls with
cellulose. My concerns have to do with trapping moisture. Since we have a
fairly mild climate, but a lot of moisture issues, vapor barriers are often
not used. I'm thinking of typical framing of OSB and moisture barrier to
outside of the 2x6 walls and sheetrock on inside. My question is, should I
leaving an inch or so space between 2x6 wall and the insulated barn wall or
attach inside wall directly to girts? Anybody done anything like this or
seen it done? Thanks

--
Kurt Jensen
Willamette Valley, Oregon.