[Greenbuilding] Building w/in a building

RT archilogic at yahoo.ca
Sun Jul 6 08:20:53 CDT 2014

On Sat, 05 Jul 2014 18:36:01 -0400, Kurt Jensen <cascadeshc at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi all,
> I am working on insulating a pole barn.

> I'm thinking of typical framing of OSB and moisture barrier to
> outside of the 2x6 walls and sheetrock on inside.

I think that erecting a 2x6, OSB/MB-sheathed stud wall inside of a pole
barn is like
ramming a new minivan into an old Winnebago and then driving the RV -- a
waste of a perfectly functional but redundant building.

If you look at the old wooden grain bins that are found in some old bank
barns, bins that might be 2-plus stories tall, you'll likely see
relatively short 2x4 "stud" wall sections stacked on top of each other to
achieve the required height, the top and sill plates functioning as
lateral ring beams to prevent the walls of the grain bin from bulging out
due to the pressure of the grain.

The proposed stud walls in the pole barn aren't doing anything except
holding up the proposed drywall, something that could easily be
accomplished by using less than half the lumber (ie a 2x3 stud wall).

The steel cladding on the walls isn't going to let any water get in
through the steel.
The only way water would get past it would be via improper flashing
details, likely around doors or windows.

Similarly, it shouldn't be difficult to air-seal the joints between the
girts & poles & EPS. And if any moisture should get past the new interior
wall assembly, the air channels provided by every corrugation rib in the
metal rain screen cladding should allow moisture to drain.

Me ? Since the pole barn isn't likely lacking in interior space (ie it's
ss big as a barn) I think that I'd be looking at erecting a strawbale wall
inside, dipping the backside and edges of the bales in a clay-mix
"mayonnaise" before stacking and then applying an earthen plaster for the
interior finish.

That being said, I'd be more concerned about detailing the slab and
ceiling to minimise heat loss.
--
=== * ===
Rob Tom					AOD257

< A r c h i L o g i c  at  Y a h o o  dot  c a  >
(manually winnow the chaff from my edress if you hit "reply")