[Greenbuilding] On Insulating Crawlspaces and Basements: BAD FOAM!

Keith Winston keith at earthsunenergy.com
Fri Jun 6 13:24:20 CDT 2014

Leslie, I'm sorry I've taken so long in responding. I was hoping to get in
touch with "Foam It Green" (FiG) to clarify some questions, but since that
might not happen (too busy) let me share off the top.

The "builders' kits" of foam that are made by many manufacturers appear
pretty similar to me: typical coverage is 600 sf (at 1") per set of
cannisters. They are propelled by refrigerant (in the case of FiG it's
R134a, a fairly common choice, an HFC refrigerant with near-zero ozone
depletion potential (ODP), and about 1/2 the Global Warming Potential (GWP)
as the original evil refrigerants R-11 & 12 (1300 vs. 2400 & 4000). That
said, I've had a new backround panic for years since they started selling
cans of R134a over the counter for people to recharge their (still leaky)
auto AC systems, which appears to have been borne out... atmospheric
concentration of R134a was shown to double between... wait for it... 2001 &
2004. It honestly feels like there are people trying to figure out how to
pump as much of this stuff into the atmosphere as possible.

So it's a very interesting question about how they offset their
contribution (previous research indicated that builder's kits of foam
release something like 6-12 pounds of refrigerant, probably, though this is
not easily discovered information in my experience). I also looked over the
MSDS for FiG, and was left a little confused: they list their components
slightly differently than most other 2-part polyurethane foams, but my
chemistry is not quite able to parse whether they are the same thing, or
just similar. Also, for trade secrecy reasons MSDS's don't include
everything, generally.

The argument for such a foam is that the energy saved over the life of the
structure more than justifies the environmental cost of the foam. Of
course, if you actually take that statement apart, there are lots of thorny
edges in there: what other options are there in a given situation, in terms
of insulation? building tightness? energy systems design?

The small can foam you get at a big box store is propelled by butane or
propane typically, with no ODP and a GWP of 1. That said, it can't be used
in large cans due to fire hazard I believe (though the chemistry of this
stuff can get complicated). And of course a thousand small cans would have
their own environmental impact, if you were trying to compare the two.
Careful and precise application of small cans (they can also be bought with
a specialized gun that allows very precise placement and the use of a can
over many months, vs. the challenge involved in saving a small can after
one application without having it cure up on you) seems like a rather good
use of this technology, in many cases.

Large commercial foam installers MOSTLY use a different kind of foam
(warning, some do not, they have huge tanks with refrigerant that they are
releasing when they foam), and the application thereof involves an
expensive device called a proportioner and heated hoses and the like. That
said, I believe some of them ALSO have refrigerants in the foam. In all
cases, these are called "blowing agents", and there are other options like
Ecomate
<http://ecomatesystems.com/ecomate-resources/Ecomate%20MSDS%20-%20MF.pdf>,
which is Methyl Formate and Methanol (both toxic, but they do disperse...
how thoroughly I'll leave to your own research & thinking).

Alas, I have not left you with a simple, obvious choice. There are many
more considerations I didn't even touch on, all the building
science/building health issues for example. Oh well. Welcome to my world!

Keith

--
Keith Winston
Director, Earth Sun Energy Systems