[Greenbuilding] between a rock and a shoulder season

Topher topher at greenfret.com
Tue Jun 10 09:23:13 CDT 2014

On 6/9/2014 5:25 PM, Reuben Deumling wrote:

>         To us *electricity *to heat anything, to me, is bordering
>         on the sacrilegious.

Greetings,

The way to feel better about this is to use a heat pump to *move* heat,
rather than resistance to make it.  A good heat pump can be 300-400%
efficient (by the obviously flawed model of counting only the energy
from electricity).  This makes electrically heat one of the cheapest,
and if you use local renewables, one of the greenest.

For a neighbor of mine, it was cheaper (up front cost) to install solar
panels and 2 heat pumps (heating and water), than installing any other
type of heat.  And then the fuel is *free*, and no ongoing pollution.

'Green' electricity from the grid always strikes me as a bit of a scam.
Let's assume 1% of the electric mix is from renewables.  The electric
company can charge up 1% of their customer base, a few extra cents per
kWh without doing a thing.  Would you know if they were actually making
that deal to 2% of their customer base?

Thank You Kindly,
Topher

--