[Greenbuilding] R-value of crushed stone under slab

Frank Tettemer frank at livingsol.com
Mon Dec 7 18:03:28 CST 2015

I would consider the 24" of gravel as a steady, 24/7 heat loss.  In
fact, in a colder climate, (like Eastern Ontario, Canada), there would
be little consideration of trying to heat that gravel. Any heat going
into it from the house would continue traveling down and out, and the
heat added to the stone would never return to the house. Unless you
opened all the windowsand doors to quickly chill the place. Then for a
short while, the cool stones would give offtheir relative heat to the room.

In other words, dee-coupling from the stones, with at least R-25
insulation, would be a Good Idea.  If you were a Passiv Haus enthusiast,
you would insulate with R-45 or more, to prevent heat loss to those stones.

Frank Tettemer
Living Sol ~ Building and Design
www.livingsol.com
613 756 3884