[Greenbuilding] R-value of crushed stone under slab

Norbert Senf norbert.senf at gmail.com
Tue Dec 8 05:57:12 CST 2015

Here you go:
prestonfeather.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Web_Resistance_Values.pdf

I googled "heat resistance value of sand" and it was the second hit.

Note that it has an R value per inch for sand and gravel concrete of 0.08
per inch, and
and R value for 8" hollow core concrete blocks of 1.11 (sand and gravel
aggregate), or 0.13 per inch.

You could make an educated guess that the R value for gravel with 40% voids
would be close to 0.1 per inch,
or 2.4 for 24 inches (Imperial units).

Norbert

On Mon, Dec 7, 2015 at 7:02 PM, Alan Abrams <alan at abramsdesignbuild.com>
wrote:

> Nobert--
>
> my "look-up" skills may admittedly be deficient, but I could not find a
> reliable citation on the internet, and not even in my tattered 8th Edition
> of the AGS...
>
> aa
>
> Alan Abrams
>
> *certified professional building designer, AIBDcertified passive house
> consultant, PHIUS*
> *certified passive house builder, PHIUS*
> cell     202-437-8583
> alan at abramsdesignbuild.com
> HELICON WORKS *Achitecture and Education*
> <http://www.heliconworks.com/index2.html>
>
> On Mon, Dec 7, 2015 at 5:26 PM, Norbert Senf <norbert.senf at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Right, I was only addressing the "heat capacity expressed as MJ(m^3K)"
>> part of the question. R value of gravel is a look-up value............N
>>

>> On Mon, Dec 7, 2015 at 2:42 PM, Nick Pine <nick_pine at verizon.net> wrote:
>>

>>> Norbert Senf <norbert.senf at gmail.com> writes:
>>>
>>> ... the specific heat would be .14 MJ/m3-K
>>>>

>>> I'm afraid that has nothing to do with R-value.
>>>
>>> Nick

>> --
>> Norbert Senf
>> Masonry Stove Builders