[Greenbuilding] Greenbuilding Digest, Vol 53, Issue 10

Antonioli Dan solardan26 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 1 19:06:17 CST 2015

Not all “minerals” or metals found in water are what our bodies need, nor do water softeners remove all of them like reverse osmosis….which is the system most “health professionals” extoll as the best water you can drink.

You get most of the minerals you need in the food you eat, not in water. Water often has high concentrations of iron, arsenic, aluminum, manganese, and mercury (to name a few) that you neither need in your body or effecting the plumbing. In my case the iron content is so hight that it stains everything, increases scaling on the inside of solar thermal panels, and has even clogged point-of-use water filters used for drinking.

And not all water softeners are the same. I think in this discussion people are referring to older systems, which I’m not familiar with but don’t function quite the way the new generation of systems perform. See my reply to RT.

Dan