[Greenbuilding] Crawlspace

Leslie Moyer unschooler at lrec.org
Wed Jan 14 14:20:44 CST 2015

I know the moisture barrier won't do anything for energy efficiency. But
I was also going to have them insulate the perimeter walls at the same
time, making the crawlspace semi-conditioned space.  I do not have
moisture problems in the crawl space currently. The moisture problems
I've had in the past have come from plumbing, not from any moisture
entering from elsewhere. Our house sits on a knoll, I have good gutters
& roof overhangs, etc., so no problems with rainwater or groundwater.

I know there are two schools of thought on this, but I didn't realize
there was still debate about it.  I generally trust buildingscience.com
and am making the decision based on the information they have there.

We just deeply renovated the house next door to us, tearing it down to
the floor joists and studs, including ripping up all the subfloor.  It
has a ventilated crawl space, though I don't know whether or not the
previous owners kept the vents open, nor do I recall how good the air
flow was. The floors were not insulated. The finished floors in there
were carpet (mostly) and some vinyl sheet flooring. The subfloor was one
layer of thin plywood, one layer of tarpaper, and then one layer of
particle board. Moisture from the top (cat pee & plumbing leaks) had
rotted a lot of the particle board and moisture from the bottom
(plumbing leaks?) had caused a LOT of mold on the under side of the
plywood and floor joists, though not enough (in most cases) to destroy
them. (The bathroom was the exception.)  Seeing all the mold on the
underside of the subfloor and the joists is what is leading me toward
the moisture barrier....though if all I'm doing is containing the
moisture inside the barrier, then it won't help, I realize...hence my
questions.  Our crawl space is NOT big enough to get in there on a
regular basis to investigate and we're not spring chickens anymore.

I appreciate your feedback!
--Leslie