[Greenbuilding] Fresh air to boiler questions

Norbert Senf norbert.senf at gmail.com
Thu Jan 15 07:40:19 CST 2015

On Wed, Jan 14, 2015 at 4:36 PM, Benjamin Pratt <benjamin.g.pratt at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Norbert, I would love to close off that 6" hole. I was told that the
> boiler would operate less efficiently if I do that. I suppose that assumes
> less oxygen

not true, common fallacy. In some jurisdictions, building code may require
it, or it may be in "manufacturers installation instructions", so you need
to check that.
Only exception I can think of is a separate, sealed, furnace room. Always
make sure you have a CO detector, since low level CO spillage is very
common with your type of setup, outside air or not.

> IF that is not true, I and am ready to plug up that hole! Any ideas about
> the open flue of the boiler and the water heater? Are they less concerning?

Not sure, since my experience is with wood and not oil or gas. In a
basement, you are very likely to have negative pressure, so on standby
perhaps there is not a lot of flow from the basement into the barometric
damper, particularly if you have an outside chimney. If you take a sheet of
old style newsprint, it has a grain orientation to it, and in one direction
you can tear it into parallel strips. This makes a handy flow visualization
tool, for example low flows into open fireplaces. It might be interesting
to check around your barometric dampers, air inlets, window drafts, etc. A
stick of incense, or a cigarette, is good also ;-)

Norbert Senf
Masonry Stove Builders
25 Brouse Road, RR 5
Shawville Québec J0X 2Y0