[Greenbuilding] Crawlspace foam insulation -- how much?

Frank Tettemer frank at livingsol.com
Fri Jun 12 13:18:12 CDT 2015

Hi Leslie,

You may want to re-consider the idea of foaming the floor in a crawl
space. My concerns would be that the foam would act too well as a vapour
barrier, and you may have moisture/mildew problems down the road in the
crawl space. I AM in Canada, so your geographic climate might create
different problems than here.

I always design any neccessary crawl spaces as a definite part of the
conditioned space of the home. That means insulating the walls and the
floor of the crawl space, and leaving the floor as a vapour-open plane,
as well as including the crawl space in the heating design. This avoids
condensation trouble, by keeping the air warm and dry.

Frank

Frank Tettemer
Living Sol ~ Building and Design
www.livingsol.com