[Greenbuilding] Crawlspace foam insulation -- how much?

Leslie Moyer unschooler at lrec.org
Fri Jun 12 13:55:02 CDT 2015

Yeah, well, I considered that option first and was ridiculed for that on
this list several months ago. My crawl space is tight (for humans), but
well-ventilated, so I'm going to go with this option as I think it is
the most practical.

--Leslie

On 6/12/15 1:18 PM, Frank Tettemer wrote:
> Hi Leslie,
>
> You may want to re-consider the idea of foaming the floor in a crawl
> space. My concerns would be that the foam would act too well as a
> vapour barrier, and you may have moisture/mildew problems down the
> road in the crawl space. I AM in Canada, so your geographic climate
> might create different problems than here.
>
> I always design any neccessary crawl spaces as a definite part of the
> conditioned space of the home. That means insulating the walls and the
> floor of the crawl space, and leaving the floor as a vapour-open
> plane, as well as including the crawl space in the heating design.
> This avoids condensation trouble, by keeping the air warm and dry.
>
> Frank
>
> Frank Tettemer
> Living Sol ~ Building and Design
> www.livingsol.com
> 613 756 3884
>

> On 12/06/2015 2:02 PM, Leslie Moyer wrote:
>> I am in NE Oklahoma.  I'm in the process of getting estimates for
>> crawlspace insulation in the floor joists--closed cell foam.  My
>> crawl space is dry now that we've fixed some plumbing problems, but
>> I'm having some cupping issues with some wood flooring and part of
>> the fiberglass batts that were originally in the house when we bought
>> it were taken out over time for this and that. Anyway--closed cell
>> foam seems to be the best solution.
>>
>> The first guy who came this morning wants to quote me 1.5" foam,
>> though said he would quote 2" if that's what I really want, saying
>> that would be enough for "Canada".  I understand about the benefits
>> of air sealing, but I was still thinking I would need more inches of
>> foam according to what I've read on R-value & this area.  Thoughts?
>>
>> --
>> *Leslie Moyer*

*Leslie Moyer*
Email: unschooler at lrec.org <mailto:unschooler at lrec.org>