[Greenbuilding] Crawlspace foam insulation -- how much?

Alan Abrams alan at abramsdesignbuild.com
Fri Jun 12 14:17:16 CDT 2015

Hi Leslie

somehow I don't like the idea. I assume the insulation contractor is
proposing to apply foam to the underside of the floor sheathing. If that is
the case, there is the possibility of the exposed portion of the joists
getting below dew point, and becoming saturated with condensed water vapor.
IIRC, Joe Lstiburek has some really ugly photos of this condition.

my preference (at a minimum) would be to seal and insulate the perimeter of
the floor cavity with caulk and batts, and apply a smart membrane (like
MemBrain) to the underside of the joists, carefully lapped and taped, and
then some rigid mineral fiber insulation under that. Fire resistant, mold
resistant, thermal bridge resistant, and semi permeable. The crawlspace can
then behave or misbehave as it pleases, without impact on IAQ

-aa

Alan Abrams

*certified professional building designer, AIBDcertified passive house
consultant, PHIUS*
*certified passive house builder, PHIUS*
cell     202-437-8583
alan at abramsdesignbuild.com
HELICON WORKS *Achitecture and Education*
<http://www.heliconworks.com/index2.html>