[Greenbuilding] heat treated wood siding

Dave Boyt dboyt at netins.net
Thu Nov 12 18:11:31 CST 2015

Maybe I can help a bit here.  I operate a small sawmill in southwest Missouri, and deal with some of these issues.  “Heat treated” is a specific term that assures the wood has been heated to a temperature for a designated period of time to destroy the bugs that could emerge from the wood and cause damage or become invasive.  The USDA has the specifics on this, but it basically requires the core of the wood to maintain a temperature of at least 135 deg F for at least an hour.  Further, this has to be documented.  In the winter, my solar kiln will kiln dry wood to 8% moisture content without reaching 135, so I supplement the heat source to meet this requirement.  Most industrial kilns surpass that temperature, but there is no guarantee, unless it has specifically been certified as heat treated.  Conversely, wood can (and often is) heat treated without being kiln dry.  Heat certainly facilitates the drying process, but is not required, nor does heating wood to a given temperature dry it to a given moisture content.

As regards to the original question, species is the critical issue, as heat treating does not, in any way, prevent the wood from decaying—it just kills the bugs already in the wood.  For example, cottonwood, hickory, or sycamore would be poor choices, since they quickly.  Red or black oak would be much better, and white oak better yet.  Finally, kiln dry wood is the LAST thing you’d want for exterior siding.  It will actually expand as it picks up moisture, and the wood can buckle and pull away.  Lap siding and board & batten are designed specifically to allow green wood to shrink as it goes from green to air dry moisture content (around 12% in NE Kansas).  Kiln dry is only useful for indoor flooring and furniture.  I built our passive solar house out of “green” black oak lumber fresh off the mill over 30 years ago, with no problems of warping or rot.  No heartbreak here!

Dave Boyt
Pottershop Hollow Tree Farm & Sawmill
Neosho, MO